Saturday, March 12, 2016

Plant A Flower Day!

Today, March 12, is National Plant A Flower Day. While its history is somewhat blurry, I’ll take any day that celebrates flower planting.

Perhaps I would not plant any flowers, such as annuals, just yet here in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia. The temps outside this week will be in the low to mid 60’s, for which I’m so grateful! But being only mid-March, we still can get some freezing killing cold that will destroy anything planted outside.  Of course, we can plant perennials now, but I still think I’ll wait a few weeks. 

Pansies are an annual, or biennial, that you might try planting. 
                                                 

This gorgeous flower will take some really cold temps and even freezing.

                         



I planted several in pots this past Fall and we’ll see how they do.
                                                      

Right this minute they look like no life is ready to emerge, but I have hope. I've seen some look like this, and low and behold, fresh green emerges from the centers when temps get warm on a regular basis. I am excited by the way, how healthy and green my rhododendron I planted last Fall is!
                                                         
                                           
                                                      
March’s birthday flower is the daffodil and hopefully, you have planted these bulbs last Fall, and may be seeing clumps of fresh green leaves popping up! 
                                                     

I have this lone wolf clump coming up alongside my neighbor' house and right outside my kitchen door! They'll never see them, only because they don't come around this way - but I will enjoy them for sure!                             
                                                     


So today may not be the best day to plant flowers but it’s a GREAT day for thinking about it, for planting seeds and for designing your garden, which is exactly what I plan on doing.
                                                     



Do you plant anything in early Spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment